Of the 50 teams (actually 51, with a tie for 50th), there are:
– 29 NFL teams (falling league audiences?)
– 8 MLB teams (ageing league audiences?)
– 7 European and British football/soccer teams
– 7 NBA teams.
The Dallas Cowboys lead for the second straight year at US$4.2 billion, with the equal 50th most valuable teams worth US$1.75 billion. Another 36 franchises worth at least US$1 billion didn’t make the list!
Value is said to be driven by media rights deals and steady labour relations with predictable players payments. On field domestic success/trophies don’t seem to translate directly into value? Rather, I would also add that the most valuable franchises also have global fan bases that are well supported by merchandise sales and online engagement?
As well as the Cowboys at no. 1, the top 5 are:
2. New York Yankees (MLB), US$3.7 bn
3. Manchester United (EPL), US$3.69 bn
4. FC Barcelona (La Liga), US$3.64 bn
5. Real Madrid (La Liga), US3.58 bn
Check out the full list via the link. https://www-forbes-com.cdn.ampproject.org/…/full-list-…/amp/