Managing Lawyer | Owner, Mat Jessep
I am a lawyer based in the Southern suburbs of Sydney, but I operate online and service my business, personal and sports clients pretty much anywhere and everywhere.
This is my business – this is my shot, I’m making it count.
If you, as an athlete, sportsperson, actor, muso, band, artist, photographer, designer, start-up, tech guy or girl, or author are taking your shot – make it count, get the legal issues sorted and focus on what you need to focus on – you, the game, the timing, the light, or the code. Make your shot count!
I offer clients a flexible and highly personalised service based upon a unique blend of legal and business skills and experiences – I offer more than law.
I know engaging a lawyer is rarely fun, but in my business I aim to partner with my clients and work on building long-standing relationships – I want to become a trusted advisor you enjoy working with, not a stereotype you laugh about after the pain of the bill has gone away.
I also know that there are literally thousands and thousands of lawyers out there. But I don’t want to be the same old lawyer stereotype with inefficient billing and work methods – I’m not your average lawyer. If you call me, or email me, or text me, or Skype me, I will answer. I run a lean practice based upon the delivery of value to you, my clients.
As a lawyer, my philosophy, or approach to law, is pretty simple:
- I’m an advocate – I solve problems, I don’t add to them. I can be a ‘sword’, or I can be a ‘shield’.
- I’m all about value – I work on a fixed fee basis as much as possible and quote for work based upon an agreed definition of value.
- I build relationships – I’m not a churn-and-burn lawyer accounting for every 6 minutes of my day. I want to work with clients who want to work with me – over the long-term.
- I care about my clients – I work with fewer clients and provide them with direct access at any time. I return calls and emails – not a secretary, me.
- I’m here to help – otherwise, what’s the point?
After studying law part-time of an evening and on weekends as a mature-aged student from 2003 to 2009, I gained my initial legal experience as a volunteer in Community Legal Centres from 2009 to 2013 and by working as a Civil Law Solicitor with Legal Aid NSW over a 2 year period from 2011 to 2013. As a Legal Aid solicitor I assisted financially disadvantaged and socially excluded clients to access the justice system so as to exert, enforce, and protect their rights.
With a background also in sales, marketing, and management roles in the corporate sector prior to my legal experience, I quickly understand my client’s goals and offer a client-focused service based upon delivering value by providing practical advice and passionate advocacy, towards an effective commercial outcome.
To complete the history lesson, I also spent 2 years serving as an Officer in the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) from 2001 to 2003.
I started my own practice in 2013. In 2015 I restructured my practice and re-branded my business. I now offer a unique focus on sports and entertainment law from what some may call a boutique practice – we may be small, but we are more proactive, nimble, and creative with our services provided. We aim on delivering big on our service.
If you are in the sports, media, tech start-up, or entertainment industries and you have a legal issue, make your shot count, call me on +61 (0)2 8007 4747 to discuss your needs.
Solicitor Director, Jessep Group Pty Ltd
Managing Lawyer, Jessep Entertainment & Sports Lawyers
The Legal bits:
– Practising Certificate: Unrestricted, Principal (Law Society of NSW).
– Solicitor Director, Jessep Group Pty Ltd, an Incorporated Legal Practice, ACN 605 014 999
– Lawyer, Mathew Jessep Lawyer, ABN 58 605 014 999.
– Admissions: Supreme Court of NSW (2009), High Court of Australia (2011).
Law Society of NSW,
Australian & New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA),
Sports Lawyers Association (SLA), USA